Thursday, May 1, 2008

Eye Doctor Blues

*** Warning! Much complaining to follow ***

I went to the eye doctor yesterday. The news was not good. There is irritation all over my eyes and little white spots all over my corneas - white blood cells. There is no way for the doctor to even determine what the problem is or what my proper contact prescription should be until they heal. Usually white spots like that appear from wearing contacts for too long, sleeping in them, not cleaning them properly, etc. But in those cases the white spots would only be in a couple areas. Mine are all over. The doctor says he's never seen anything like it before, but he tells me not to worry about it because it will heal. Right.

What that means? I'm banned from wearing contacts for at least 2-3 weeks. I told him I was leaving town next week and he actually suggested that I wear my contacts all summer and come see him when I get back! Yeah right! I am not wearing my glasses all summer! I will go see an eye doctor in Virgina in 2-3 weeks, thank you very much!

I do not like wearing my glasses! They are heavy, they slip down my nose, they mess up my hair, and they cover up my eyes which, I must say, are a very important element of my animated mannerisms! Plus, I really really don't like driving in my glasses. No peripheral vision, no quick glances into my blind spot, and no sunglasses. Plus, not wearing contacts is making my eyes run, which makes my nose run, which creates drainage in my throat - and my voice recital is tonight! AAAARGH!


4 comments:

Nancy Sabina said...

Ahhh. Poor Ruthie. That really does suck. And I totally feel for you. May I suggest small doses of contact wearing? Like maybe wear them in the afternoon while you're driving or something - when the sun is highest and you most want sunglasses. We can certainly set up an appointment for you here. You should see a...opthamologist? Optometrist? Which ever one is an actual Dr of the eyes and not just a prescription writer.

Rebecca Reid said...

No fun! I hope the problem is discovered, cured, and all is well soon!

angela michelle said...

Wow--so what were your symptoms of these white spots? You're freaking me out because my vision has been weird lately and my contacts have been bothing me and maybe I'm DYING!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Ang. I was just worried about going blind, I hadn't even thought about DYING! Ummm, symptoms.... I sat on the stand in the choir at Stake Conference and one of my friends walked in the back and I couldn't tell it was her because I couldn't make out her face at all - that was a big eye opener (no pun intended). Also walking into bright sunlight made my eyes start watering and burning out of control. That wasn 't much fun either.