Friday, May 23, 2008

the many links in our lives

I really love how my 4-year-old niece Naomi approaches her bedtime prayers. You tell her its time to pray and she asks "What did I do today?" You talk about what you did that day and then her entire prayer is repeating that list with a "thank you for..." before each thing. I really love it. It is a great way begin a bedtime prayer. Its amazing to me how a prayer that begins with a few expressions of gratitude for a seemingly simple day can lead into a flowing communication with the Father, new (or repeat) revelation, and praise for his hand in your life.

This was the general progression of my bedtime prayer last night:

Thank you for another exciting day. I really am loving my internship and really think I've finally found something I can do and be passionate about for the rest of my life.

Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to do this internship.

I know I got this internship and am doing well at it because of my experience working for Express and all the things I've learned working there for so many years. Thank you for setting things up so that
five years ago when I walked into the door of Express needing a job from 8-12 Monday-Friday they would just happen to be looking for someone to work in the front office from 8-12 Monday-Friday.

Thank you for the opportunity to work for ANS in Plano before moving to College Station. I probably would never have gotten the job at Express if it weren't for the experience I got there. I got the job at ANS because of a guy I dated in high school, Randy. His mom worked there and he hooked me up with her.

HOLD IT, HOLD IT!!!! My entire career can be traced back to Randy?!?!?! No no no no no....

Heavenly Father, you really are absolutely amazing.

So we're not going to give Randy all the credit, but who would have thought that so many important things in my life would go all the way back to someone I knew when I was sixteen? I am so thankful Heavenly Father has been with me through it all, guiding me along the way and putting experiences in my path to get me where I need to be so that I can fulfill the mission he has for me - whatever that is.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Who knows, maybe today Randy is a Opera loving, country dancing Returned Missionary that just happens to live in DC for the summer, but will return to Texas at the end of the summer?

Nancy Sabina said...

That is so great! My mind went to kinda the same place as Jessica's...if you meet your hubby here over the summer you can trace your whole marriage back to Randy!

Rebecca said...

In a sense everything will always go back to the decisions you made and make. But life is like a choose-your-own adventure: sometimes different decisions can bring you to where you need to be. There is more than one happy ending.

angela michelle said...

An' how, sister! That's exactly how we feel about our lives too. Isn't it great! I'm so glad you're in a good place where you can see all those good things working together for you! Party on!