Saturday, May 17, 2008

Maestro Domingo... and other developments.

Updates as promised...

I happened to be filling in at the reception desk yesterday when Placido Domingo happened to be coming in to the office for a meeting (he doesn't actually come to the office very often). I saw him walking towards me from the elevator. I knew it was him. He stopped, shook my hand, and introduced himself to me as "Placido" with a kind smile, a soft voice and a very thick spanish accent. He was not the commanding and powerful presence I expected. He seemed more like just a nice old man. I introduced myself as the Human Resources Intern and informed him that his guests were waiting in his office. That was it. As he walked away I couldn't help but feel a little giggly and star-struck. It was just so cool!

Last night I attended my first WNO opera - Richard Strauss's Elektra. I sat in a $170/ticket seat for absolutely free! Now that is a good reason to work for an opera! I've never been that close at an opera before. It was so cool! The Opera House at the Kennedy Center is absolutely beautiful. As for the opera itself... lets just say this is not a beginners opera. It is a Greek tragedy put to music by a fairly modern composer. It is very very dramatic, expressive, and intense! I found myself zoning out a lot given the sad news I had received earlier in the day. The whole plot revolving around death didn't help. I might try to see it again next week. I think I will like it more the second time.

After the opera, Mr. & Mrs. Domingo (as in Placido) put on a party exclusively for opera staff. I didn't even see Placido, although I know he was there. I ended up spending most of the night mingling with a group of twenty-something women. It was very fun to hear their tales of crazy people on the metro, sacrificing wealth and prosperity for a career in the arts, how Angelina Jolie really is a nut job, and other enlightening topics.

My supervisor has caught on to the fact that I'm a good editor, and therefore one of the things I worked on this week is proofreading the Staff Directory, which includes job descriptions and short bios on each administrative staff member. I am amazed at how practically everyone has some kind of music and/or theater background. I am not in an organization of Business majors, I am in an organization of Music majors! That is so cool! I really think it is a testimony of how an education in the arts prepares the mind and increases aptitude to adapt, learn new skills, and thrive in a variety of environments.

There used to be two Human Resources people at the opera, but about a month ago one of the positions was eliminated. The person who left was completely responsible for the internship program, so my supervisor is still working on getting a grasp on how to handle the interns. I guess I've impressed her, because she informed me today that I am pretty much going to be handling the interns this summer. Most of them start this coming Monday, and I will be facilitating their orientation meeting and "icebreaking" activities. She will be present, but she is going to let me take control and lead the meeting. I could be wrong, but I think its a little crazy that she has this much trust in me after only knowing me for five days! However, I am excited to be given some real responsibility. I'm sure I will learn a lot... and that is what I'm here for after all!

One perk of being so involved with the interns is that I get to attend a meeting in July that is basically a group of internship program administrators in arts organizations around the DC area. Talk about a great opportunity to make connections! Oh, and can you guess where the meeting will be held? Wolf Trap. The opera company that was my first choice for an internship. A magically classy amphitheater in the woods of Virginia.

I am just so happy that things are turning out just how I had hoped. I am being flooded with opportunities to learn new things, meet important people, network, make connections, attend cultural events, increase my value as an employee, etc. This is just so cool!!!!!

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

It sounds like the job is a perfect match for everyone--you're delighted and they're glad your smart. Congrats and best of luck all summer!

Jenny said...

It sounds like a really great opportunity! You're schmoozing and networking, and you get to go to a ball!!

angela michelle said...

"things are turning out just how I had hoped"

Really? Including the gorgeous LDS intern boy?

I'm so glad you're having this awesome experience!