Thursday, May 15, 2008

Reflections

Again, its late and I need to go to bed, but I really need to blog tonight.

It was a great day at work. I had some networking opportunities, filled in at the reception desk all day, briefly met Placido Domingo, attended my first WNO opera, Elektra, and attended an exclusive party put on by Mr. Domingo for the staff after the opera. Everything is amazing with my internship. I'll write about all of that later.

In the midst of this exciting day I got some very sad news. I checked my voicemail on my lunch hour and was surprised to have a message from one of my Professors from A&M, asking me to call her back on her personal cell phone. When I did she informed me that one of my classmates was killed in a car accident yesterday. Mary Beth was my best friend at school. We just completed four semesters of music theory together, being the only two girls in a 5-member class. We were also the only two upper-level voice students. Lets just say we related to each other on many levels. We just recently started to do things together outside of school and were really becoming good friends. She just graduated last week, and I was really excited that she had decided to stay at A&M for grad school so that we could continue to be friends. I really really love Mary Beth.

It has been such a busy day that I haven't had a lot of time to let it sink in, but I have had some thoughts. Most of them are very hopeful:

Just this morning on my way to work I listened to Elder Earl C. Tingey's talk "The Great Plan of Happiness" twice (so it would really sink in). In this talk he basically explains how the Atonement of Jesus Christ is the Plan of Happiness. He explains how Christ's resurrection brought immortality to all of us, and how His suffering for our sins means that we can be clean and return to Him. I don't think its a coincidence that I listened to that talk today. I know that Mary Beth is eternal. I know that her spirit lives still and I know that it will soon be reunited with her perfected, glorified body. I know this because I know that the Atonement of Jesus Christ is real.

While some people may be sad by her having just graduated, I think it is wonderful. All her hard work, time, and money was not wasted. She has taken all that knowledge with her, and it will be useful to her as she continues her work throughout the eternities. What a wonderful thing that she spent her time on earth focusing on things that are of eternal value and can go with her.

Mary Beth was an absolutely wonderful person with high moral values and high standards. I was really looking forward to sharing more about the gospel with her. But, I know that she is now in the Spirit World learning about it. I hope that when she arrived on the other side she was greeted by her forbears, who anxiously put their arms around her and lovingly said something like "I've got something really really awesome to tell you about...." I don't have any feelings of guilt or regret. I just feel really grateful for the Father's plan to give all of his children a chance to learn the fullness of his gospel and accept it.

The day before I left for the summer Mary Beth and I got together to hang out and watch a movie. I didn't really have time for it, but we'd been talking about doing it for a while and I really wanted to spend some time with her before leaving for the summer. So, I made time. I am so grateful I did.

Mary Beth had her senior voice recital about a month ago, and I'm pretty sure her whole family came. How wonderful that all of her family got to see her so recently, and in an attitude of acknowledging her accomplishments.

It is amazing to me how a knowledge and testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ changes everything. This is not a tragedy, but an unexpected turn of events in Heavenly Father's great eternal plan. And, I know from ample personal experience that unexpected turns of events in the Father's plan always bring greater happiness than we ever before imagined -when we let our faith guide us through.

I am sad to be so far away right now. I wish I could attend her services. I wish I could be there for Silver Taps in her honor. But, I will look forward to next April 21st, when I will proudly answer "Here" as her name is called at Muster.

4 comments:

Nancy Sabina said...

Wow! Muster sounds like a really cool tradition. I think they've got a lot of those at A&M. Your testimony is so strong. It's a treat to hear it.

Jessica said...

This reminds me how fragile life is, and how important it is not to procrastinate, and enjoy life right now.

Anonymous said...

Ruth,

I cannot begin to describe to you how people's stories and memories of Mary Beth are helping me and her family to get through this tough time. You probably had no idea that I would stumble upon this blog entry. But I'm certainly happy that I did. I can personally speak for what you meant to Mary Beth as a friend and colleague. She really admired your devotion to your faith and enjoyed having another girl in her class to talk to. She was a very sweet girl, and I will miss her always, but I want everyone to know that this was not a bad thing for her. Undoubtedly, Mary Beth was spiritually ready to answer God's call to her eternal rest. And though it was far from what I had in mind for her and myself, we always prayed for the grace to accept God's will for the two of us. I believe she is still praying for me and for all of her family and friends, and somehow we will find a way to do God's will. Thanks for the memories, thoughts, and prayers. Please facebook me. I would love to hear more of your memories of Mary Beth.

Jenny said...

Aggies (and Texans) must have lots of devotion and lots of traditions. A&M sounds like a really neat place. I cried when I read about your friend.