Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Playlist (in chronological order)

Elektra, by Richard Strauss
When: Thursday, May 15, 2008, 7:30pm
Where: Kennedy Center Opera House, Washington, DC
What: Opera, 1 act
Who: Washington National Opera
Cast highlights: Susan Bullock, Christine Goerke, Irina Mishura, Robert Cantrell, Daniel Sumegi

While Elektra is only about an hour long, it has more intensity packed into it than most three-hour operas! I mean, it was intense, in every sense of the word - the music, the plot, the characters, the scenery… Intense. I enjoyed getting to see it, but I must say, it was not my favorite. The orchestra frequently overpowered the singers (understandably so, since it is written for a huge orchestra), and while I appreciate the modern-style costumes and scenery being symbolic of the tormented mind of the main character, it was just plain not pretty. And I like my opera pretty. Maybe that’s uncultured of me, but it’s the truth. I like to watch sets and costumes and characters that are pretty.


El Niño by John Adams
When: Sunday, May 18, 2008, 7:30pm
Where: Kennedy Center Concert Hall, Washington, DC
What: Oratorio (sacred text)
Who: The Choral Arts Society of Washington
Cast highlights: Sharla Nafziger, Leslie Mutchler, Christopheren Nomura, Brian Cummings, Paul Flight, Steven Rickards, Children's Chorus of Washington

My sister Nancy and I went to this concert together. It is a modern work, so naturally there were a lot of parts I liked, and a lot I didn't. The text of El Niño is a collection of writings/scripture about the birth of Christ, but it is more focused on birth in general, specifically from the woman's perspective. I actually really enjoyed the text. It consisted of a choir, soloists, orchestra, and a large screen over the stage with scenes to help depict the message the music. After a few minutes I mostly quit paying attention to the screen. It was a lot of modern dance and pictures which I didn't entirely understand, so it was more of a distraction than anything else for me.

Tamerlano, by George Frideric Handel
When: Tuesday, May 20, 2008
Where: Kennedy Center Opera House, Washington, DC
What: Opera, 3 acts
Who: Washington National Opera
Cast highlights: Sarah Coburn, Patricia Bardon, Plácido Domingo, David Daniels

I still get excited just thinking about Tamerlano. It was absolutely, hands-down the best opera I have ever seen. I can’t even express how much I loved it! The cast, production, and music were all top of the line. Sarah Coburn completely stole the show with her beautiful, pure, natural, effortless soprano sound. She and Patricia Bardon (a mezzo-soprano playing a male role) performed a gorgeous duet in the 3rd act that absolutely turned my insides to mush. The rest of the audience apparently felt the same way, because I have never witnessed such a long applause at the end of a number mid-act. Of course Plácido Domingo was fabulous. I have never seen anyone die so beautifully! I even enjoyed listening to David Daniels, the countertenor. Normally I have a hard time with countertenors. I acknowledge that it takes a huge amount of talent for a male to sing as high as a mezzo soprano, but lets be honest, it’s just a little weird. But David Daniels was fabulous. He made it sound natural and effortless, which is not always the case with a countertenor. Seriously, I can’t think of a thing I didn’t like about Tamerlano.

It was completely sold out, but I managed to snag a "standing room only" ticket. I stood in the back next to a railing, where I had to crouch down to see the supertitles over the stage, for over three hours. It reminded me very much of an Aggie football game, where all the students stand the entire game. You only get to sit down during half-time (or intermission in this case), and it feels so good. But the fact of the matter is that even though you're tired and your feet are killing you, what you are witnessing is so exciting that you are completely on a high by the time its over. Yes, thats how good Tamerlano was. I would stand through it again any day.


Selections from Giacomo Puccini's La Bohéme
When: Thursday, May 29, 2008, 7:30pm
Where: Kennedy Center Opera House, Washington, DC
What: Open Orchestra Rehearsal
Who: Washington National Opera
Cast highlights: WNO Young Artists Aundi Marie Moore, Elizabeth Andrews Roberts, Yingxi Zhang, Oleksandr Pushniak

This was very cool. The opera decided to open up this rehearsal to its season ticket holders to give them an inside look at the rehearsal process. The conductor, Riccardo Frizza, was mic-ed so that we could hear everything going on. They began with just the orchestra and conductor rehearsing, and then brought in the singers and added them. One of my favorite parts was when the conductor turned to the audience and said in his thick Italian accent "the problem with singers is that they are always acting, and they forget to pay attention to the baton." Maybe you had to be there, but it was really funny the way he said it. After the one-hour rehearsal they opened up for questions with the singers, conductor, and WNO's Artistic Director. I kept quiet so that the subscribers could ask questions (I can ask questions whenever I want to). Most of the questions were directed at the singers. When asked how long it takes to learn a new role, Elizabeth Andrews Roberts replied that when you are a young aspiring singer like them, if someone asks you if you can perform tomorrow, the answer is always "yes."


Cavalleria Rusticana by Pietro Mascagni
When: Friday, May 30, 2008, 7:30pm
Where: Kennedy Center Opera House, Washington, DC
What: Opera, 1 act, in concert (no sets/costumes, orchestra on the stage)
Who: Washington National Opera
Cast highlights: Salvatore Licitra, Dolora Zajick, Madeleine Gray, Gordon Hawkins, Leslie Mutchler

This was a wonderful production. The cast did a great job of acting out the parts even though they were not in costume. I have a confession, though. I went straight to the opera after work and didn't get a good dinner. About half way through I found myself unable to focus on anything besides what I would grab to eat on the way home. Wendy's or Chick-fil-A? Chic-fil-A won't be open this late, so I'll have to go to Wendy's. I want french fries, but I have to get some real food too! No, I'm not in the mood for a sandwich. Chicken nuggets?... It was very sad indeed.


Eugene Onegin, by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
When: Thursday, June 12, 2008, 7:00pm
Where: Kennedy Center Concert Hall, Washington, DC
What: Opera, 3 acts, in concert (no sets/costumes, orchestra on the stage)
Who: National Symphony Orchestra
Cast highlights: Irina Mataeva, Sergei Leiferkus, Daniil Shtoda, Irina Tchistjakova, Ekaterina Semenchuk

I really didn't know what to expect with this one, but I was pleasantly surprised! It was a wonderful opera in every way from the music to the plot to the performers. Who knew Russian could sound so pretty? I would really like to see the full production of this opera some day.


Now do you understand why I've been so busy? It should be slowing down for the rest of the summer because our season is now over as well as The National Symphony Orchestra's.

Did I mention that I didn't pay a cent for any of these? My internship totally rocks.

3 comments:

Grandpa Earl said...

I couldn't be happier for you!!

Grandpa Earl said...

Wait - how did that happen? I logged in as me and ended up as Grandpa Earl. I am sure his sentiment is the same as mine.
Mom

angela michelle said...

How great that you get to see those! I'm so happy for you! Too bad you couldn't sneak down from your standing-room only seats during intermission! Can't wait to see you soon!