Saturday, June 7, 2008

Opera Ball

When: Friday, June 6, 2008 10:00pm
What: Washington National Opera's 2008 Opera Ball
Where: The French Ambassador's Residence, Washington, DC

Oh how wonderful it was! Opera Ball is Washington National Opera's biggest event of the year, and has been called the best party of the year in DC. There were many comments last night that this was the best Opera Ball ever.

Nancy diligently worked her circle and found this beautiful dress that I borrowed from a girl in her ward who wore it to Prom last year. I got a lot of compliments about it. One of the "official" photographers actually requested a picture of me - just me in my gorgeous dress! HOW COOL!



From the luminares along the driveway and silhouettes in the windows as you walked up to the house, to the crystal chandeliers hanging from the trees in the back yard, it was beautiful in every way. Dinners were held before the Ball at 22 different Ambassadors' homes, and then everyone came to the Ball for desserts and dancing:






There were a lot of important people there from Ambassadors to Congressman to crazy left-wing political candidates. My favorite people were the ones dressed in opera costumes. They were so beautiful and fun!


This one was my favorite:


You should have seen the guys in wigs, tights, and heels getting jiggy on the dance floor to 80's music at the end of the night!


She ran away when she saw I was trying to get a picture (why?!), but can you see that her gown and head piece have lights?!


For the first hour I was assigned to hang out near the steps going down off the balcony to the service trailer and make sure no guests went down there. For the second hour I was assigned to "warm" the Empire Room. Now that was fun! Why? Because I was right next to this amazing spread prepared by the French Ambassador's chefs:



Yes, that is a little cup of creme brulet (sp?). Yes, that is gold leafing on the chocolate!


Near the end of the night, after most of the guests were gone and most of the staff were relieved from their posts, the dance floor was filled with staff members and costumed supers going nuts on the dance floor. I have to be honest, I had some prom flashbacks, but it was pretty fun seeing all the people I work with - including some that are pretty high up in the company - letting loose like that! I think the open bar might have had something to do with it...

Can you tell we're not as "fresh" looking? Did I mention the dance floor was outside and it was in the 80's?


6 comments:

Nancy Sabina said...

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! I'm so glad it was as fab as we thought it would be. You really looked great. We'll have to watch the society papers for your pic. Chandeliers in the TREES?!?!? Wow! And I can't believe Cinderella ran away? What's up with that? Was it midnight?

Angela said...

You look beautiful! Sounds like a great experience and a lot of fun.

Anonymous said...

You are taking DC by storm! I've been here 25 years, and I haven't been to the opera yet! (I did go to La Scala in Italy, though, and opera is truly wornderful.) It always reminds me of my dad, your Grandpa Benac, who listened to the Texaco Opera show on the radio Every Saturday afternoon.
Cheers, Nancy

Rebecca said...

wow you are so gorgeous! I love the dress. Sounds like you're having a blast!

angela michelle said...

Of course he wanted to take your picture--that dress is perfect for you. You look gorgeous--and you're modest! What a fun adventure for you!

Wendy said...

Wow Ruth Looks like you have a fabulous life! I love the costumes too! Like from a movie!!