Monday, March 24, 2008

Just Another Manic Monday

7:00am - Alarm rings. I'm tired! I hit snooze.

7:05am - Alarm rings again. Snooze again.

7:10am - Alarm. Snooze.

7:20am - Second alarm rings (across the room). Time to really get up.

8:00am - I rush into work. On time - barely!

1:00pm - I walk out the door from work. I check my cell phone. A missed call! (202)... (202)... I know that area code... Thats Washington DC!

1:01pm - I dial my voice mail. "Hi Ruth. This is--at The Washington National Opera. I'm calling because I'd like to offer you the HR Internship for this summer...." What? Did I hear that right? Me?Really? HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!!

1:03pm - I do a happy dance in my car and say a little prayer of "Thanks" and "You're amazing."

1:05pm - I call mom to tell her. No answer. I leave a message for her to CALL ME BACK!

1:20pm - I arrive home from work. My roommate isn't there. ARGH! I'M DYING TO TELL SOMEONE!

1:22pm - I sit down at my kitchen table with my planner and call them back to say yes. No answer. I leave a message.

1:50pm - My roommate comes home. I tell her. We do a happy dance together. I leave for school.

1:55pm - Mom calls me back. I tell her. We do the phone version of a happy dance.

2:30pm - I go into rehearsal with my accompanist/voice coach. I tell her. Anther happy dance (more reserved this time because we must be professional). She picks up the phone and dials the Department of Performance Studies office. "Hello Dr. [Department Head]. I have Ruth --, one of our Music Majors here with me, and she just received news that she has got an internship with the Washington National Opera this summer in Arts Management at the Kennedy Center in Washington..." From across the room I hear a shreak of joy on the other end of the line. She hands the phone to me. "Congratulations Ruth! I will always remember the day you auditioned for our program. You were the very first audition that day and you arrived thirty minutes early. I was very impressed and knew from that moment that you came prepared and were capable of doing something like this. I am so happy that they noticed that in you as well." She then asks me to send her an email telling her more about it so that she can inform the faculty in their meeting on Wednesday. Wow, do you think this will make any of them want to give me an "A"?

3:02pm - I leave my rehearsal and head for the library. My phone rings. 202 again. I answer. Its her! We talk some details: I am the first intern to be selected and informed this summer. They would like me for as much of the summer as they can have me. Wow, I feel special! We nail down the dates: May 12th through August 15th. My exact availability dates. I will be working full-time hours (subject to change if I decide I can't survive without a second job -the stipend will really only cover gas to get there). She tells me more details will come as they select the rest of the interns and get things organized.

3:10pm - I get to the library, sit down at a computer, check my email, log into blogger, and start writing.

5 comments:

Nancy Sabina said...

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah Yeah Yeah!!! That's the computer version of the happy dance - now you've done them all.

I can't wait for you to be here!

Jessica said...

Congrats!!! I am sooo excited for you. I know how much you wanted to get this. You are amazing. I am still a little sad though, not to see you all summer...

Angela said...

Congrats, Ruthie! Good luck with the internship, but have some fun while you are in DC.

angela michelle said...

yay yay yay!!! I'm not surprised at all but I'm very happy for you. Congrats!

Farmer Joe said...

Way to go Ruth. It's gonna be a blast.